gas tanks and exhausts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: gas tanks and exhausts
From: Marc <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:39:24 -0400
Well, looks like both of my problems turned out for the worst: The gas
smell is a rusted top of the tank near the filler.

The exhaust smell I thought was a loose pipe where it connected to the
header. On Friday I accidently backed up a little too far into a parking
space and crushed the middle muffler beyond repair. I had a local shop
make a short pipe to take it's place so I could drive it while I figured out
what to do. It's loud, but runs great!! Anyway, we found the pipe was
very loose where it connected to the header. We tightened it up, which
did help quite a bit with reducing the exhaust odor, but didn't completely
eliminate it.

So I may have a bad/leaky exhaust header or gaskets... While looking for a
new exhaust, I saw the stainless steel unit in Victoria British catalog
which I think is a decent idea, and I heard (third-hand) that the
Peco exhaust header and exhaust system were very nice.

Of course there is always the stock exhaust option...

So then I need a gas tank as well. It's a 73 MGB which of course had
the vapor recovery system. To replace it with a non-vented type is
a little cheaper, but does it mount exactly the same? Are there any
sources for exhausts or tanks other than moss or victoria brit that
you would recommend? I would love to find a local source
(I'm in Baltimore MD). What about the sending unit, etc? Does it pay
to reuse the original? I think I may be better off replacing that stuff...

Info and advice please! Tanks alot (pun intended)

--
Marc Siegel, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160