Crank Pulley Movement

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crank Pulley Movement
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:15:28 +0100
Hi, Folks.

Sorry to use the list in this way but I can't get an offlist reply to Rocky
Frisco.
Message follows...
Hello Rocky,

<SNIP>
> I'm having some difficulty visualizing this. Hope you won't mind
> clarifying.

Not at all.

Are the belt(s) off?

The single belt driving the water pump and alternator is still on.

Correct me if I have this wrong:
> the outer part (damper and pulley) is not moving on the center. The
> entire assembly is intact and turning together as a unit, including
> the head of the center bolt, although the crank is not turning.

That's right. There is free rotation of about ten degrees but the pulley,
including the outer rim, and bolt are moving together - there is no apparent
play either fore-and-aft or sideways. The pulley can be turned by hand
without turning the crank and at each 'end' of the free play, it comes up
against something solid.

> What's happening with the lock-tab under the center bolt?

It's hard to see if the lock tab is present but the head of the centre bolt
is definitely moving with the pulley.

Just FYI, this is a donor car which has been standing in a field for three
years or more. Six hours tinkering got it running again and at a 500 rpm
tickover, the (steel) fan - which is missing the rubber collars from its
mounting bolts, clatters like crazy. If the crank is making a noise, the fan
drowns it. Higher than tickover and up to 3,000 rpm, the engine runs as
sweetly as you could wish.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Thanks for writing,

David Hill