Eezibleed

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Eezibleed
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:08:20 +0100
Hi, David.

You're a bit off-target; here's how Eezibleed works....

In the kit, you get a reservoir (plastic bottle), with an air pipe and a
fluid pipe. The fluid pipe accepts one of a number of included master
cylinder caps that screw onto the master cylinder reservoir. With the bottle
full of fluid, you attach the air pipe to the Schrader valve on a tyre.
Then, having attached the included clear plastic pipe and run it into a
handy glass jar, you undo the relevant bleed screw and, since the system is
under pressure, the fluid - and air bubbles - are forced out of the system.
I believe you could use this system from the bleed screw end - apparently,
some use it this way to bleed the B's clutch hydraulics.
I tend to use my Eezibleed only where there is no assistance available. Even
with the recommended pressure (15 psi), it's hard to get a seal and fluid
gets pushed out either from where the adaptor cap takes the air pipe or
between the cap and reservoir. With DOT5, this is just expensive but with
lesser, painstripper fluid, it's a big problem. Either way, it's messy.
In my experience, the best thing for bleeding hydraulics is a bleed pipe
with a one-way valve in it. Even then, I usually close the bleed screw
between pumps of the pedal to stop the system sucking air back in.
One further successful strategy involves remembering that brake fluid with
air in it can foam. Should you get a car that's a pig to bleed (e.g. a B)
leaving it alone for an hour usually solves the problem. For the same
reason, have your pedal pusher pump the pedal slowly and steadily.
Apologies if any of the things I've mentioned are no longer included with
the Eezibleed - I've owned mine for years. In answer to your questions, the
kit isn't junk,IMHO, but has its limitations. As for value for money, $34 is
about 23 UK pounds, which seems rather pricey. Here, that would buy two new
brake discs, or half a new, single circuit master cylinder!

Hope this helps,

David Hill
York, UK