Re: Suspension question --"some" MG content

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <mgs@duttenterprises.com>
Subject: Re: Suspension question --"some" MG content
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:04:51 -0700
While the Panhard rod is a useful addition to rear suspension, an even
better alternative is a Watts link.

A Panhard rod is a single bar which pivots on the chassis at one side of the
car and is attached to the opposite end of the axle. This means it describes
an arc as the axle travels up and down which results in the axle moving a
very slight amount from side to side, relative to the car's centerline.

A Watts link is two horizontal,  usually parallel bars, one fixed to each
side of the chassis, which are connected to the upper and lower ends of a
vertical bar which is attached to and pivots about the center of the axle
housing. As the axle goes up and down, the bars keep it perfectly centered.
Unfortunately, there isn't room under an MGB for one of these linkage
arrangements.

And, yes, you're right about MGB's being slightly cock-eyed. My BGT rear
axle is 1'2" offset to the left, so my left rear tire rubs the fender well
while the right has plenty of clearance. I really must take it off and move
the spring perches one of these days.....

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center