Bean ball (almost)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bean ball (almost)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:50:51 -0700
About an hour ago on 280 near Burlingame, I was passing the country club,
when out of the corner of my eye I saw a white streak descending rapidly.
When it bounced on the pavement and shot back up into the air I realized it
was an errant golf ball. It only missed joining me in the cockpit by about
15 feet. If it had hit the windshield (or my noggin) it could have been
messy (I don't care about the bonnet, it's already trashed).

It must have been 40 yards out of bounds at that point -- they shouldn't let
duffers like that onto courses next to major highways...

The other incident on this trip occurred further south near Stanford.
Hitting a poorly repaved seam on an overpass at about 75 (just keeping up
with traffic, mind you), all 4 wheels caught air, as did my posterior. Upon
landing, the bonnet latch popped. Fortunately, I was already prepared for
this known proclivity and had a bungee cord reinforcing the safety catch,
belt-and-suspenders-style. Nevertheless I pulled over and slammed it shut
within a half mile.

I know my bonnet is damaged and hence particularly insecure, but this has
happened often enough that I am seriously contemplating those buckle straps
when I fit the new one.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149