Re: maxed out dwell out 40 degrees?

To: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>,
Subject: Re: maxed out dwell out 40 degrees?
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:42:00 -0500
Paul writes,

> The higher the dwell the smaller the gap and the longer the
> points are closed.  Maybe you are closing it up altogether.
> Set the points by gap and then check the dwell.  Once that
> is done you can simply recheck the dwell to see when they
> need to be reset,

   This is the only real option with this distributor -- unless you
are talking about trial-and-error setting -- as there is no
direct dwell measurement except perhaps with the distributor
equivalent of a cam degree wheel.

> but IMHO it makes no sense to try and set the points on the
> car using dwell - all that cap off, adjust, cap on, run engine,
> test dwell, switch off, cap off etc etc.

   The dwell is more of a measurement than setting procedure.
It is also a higher precision measurement that the gap.  I mean,
the dwell is what matters to the engine, not the point gap BUT,
it is stupidly difficult to use as a tuning measurement.  As Paul
implies, it is more of an easy test than a setting.  You can measure
it while the engine is running and know what the ignition is doing.
That is its value.

> If the gap is right and the dwell is wrong it indicates either
> mechanical wear in the distributor or possibly ignion LT
> problems.

   This is, of course, the checks-and-balances step.  The dewll
is what matters to the engine, the gap is what you can set and
when those two disagree <widely>, the implication is wear --
or incorrect parts.
   FWIW, I bought a rebuilt distributor for my '70 B-GT and
its cam was worn more than the one I just removed!  I rebuilt
my old distributor using bits from the "rebuilt" one.

rick