Buying from eBay sellers in the UK (WAS: Getting GBP in US)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Buying from eBay sellers in the UK (WAS: Getting GBP in US)
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:47:34 -0500
Thanks for the reply guys...  Here is the issue,

I just bought a part off of eBay from a guy in the UK.  I was planning on
using an international money order, but I incorrectly though I could get it
in sterling, and falsely assumed that it would be easy.  Well since I can't
find a way to do that, I asked him how his other customers (he has good
feedback) have handled it.  His reply is below.

------------------------------------
I do not like the BidPay system but if you send $ then it will have to be
$1.50 to the pound. $ money orders the bank charges me $8 to
convert so if you send sterling then all would be straight forward. I do
hope I have not been too long winded, but better be up front as I have in
the past had customers dump on me when it came to the exchange rate system
-----------------------------------

I got a really good deal on the part, but I don't want to pay a 6% penalty
on the exchange rate ($1.44 right now).  Any other ideas?  I also have to
figure out the shipping issue since Airmail takes 4-5 days at $35 .vs
surface mail taking 5 weeks $25 while I am at it....

Thanks
Patton

>At 09:31 AM 5/15/2002, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>
>In a message dated 5/15/02 9:37:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>kpdii@softhome.net writes:
>

> > What's the best way to get Pound notes in the US?  I am pretty sure if
> I go
> > to my local small town Texas bank they will look at me funny.  I figure I
> > will have to drive into Houston, but I am not sure the best place to go.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Why?  If you are planning a trip to the UK, I recommend changing money after
>you get there.  The exchange rates in the states are TERRIBLE!
>
>If you just want some funny money, any bank can do the exchange, but they
>have to order the foreign currency, so you will have to wait a few days to
>get it.  You may also try an American Express office.
>
>Allen Hefner
>SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
>'77 Midget
>'75 Midget "The Project"