Salvage/save

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Salvage/save
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 07:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
 Do not forget that you that most valuable part of any MGB, a rust free body
(structure wise). In many cases the other things are not too bad to do. I guess
if you can afford to buy another rust free MGB with many of the other things
intact than go ahead and save yourself many hours of work instead of driving
during the coming season. BY ALL MEANS, SAVE THE STEERING WHEEL!!!!! (any one
who has seen his RV8 wheel from Brown and Gammons will know what I mean). I am
by birth a cheap person (tempered by laziness) and would opt to keep the car
and rebuild it but that is something that will take lots of thought by you. If
you are interested in getting another one I do have a very nice rust free 1980
with new paint and 6K in new sheet metal and body work with an intact interior
and 52k one owner miles. I still if I was you, would keep yours because there
is so much to work with and there would be the sense of ownership and
accomplishment. By the way, I just looked out the window (with Tom and Ray
Magliozzi [click and clack] talking in the back ground) and there is now wet
snow falling in coastal, southern Maine sigh....
Carl French
  Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com> wrote: Carl: I have a feeling that they're
going to total the car.  I'll most likely buy it back for its salvage value,
but I'm debating over whether to rebuild it or start with a car in better
shape.  I think that all I've got is some good sills and fenders; the rest of
the car is still in rough shape.  When I think of all the work I still have to
do (suspension, steering boots, new interior, total paint job) and that's not
including rewiring the car (which I already did once) and replacing the other
burned parts, it seems like a lot more work than it's worth.  I'll see what the
insurance adjuster says first.  I think there are enough valuable parts in the
car to make it worth parting out, but all the body work would have been wasted
(unless I can sell the sills to someone). I don't know; I keep going back and
forth.  I'll see how I feel next week. --Steve
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience