aircare prep. progress made.

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Subject: aircare prep. progress made.
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 06:34:18 -0700
Hello Skye,

Went to the British car meet at Vandusen Gardens today, half
expecting/hoping you would be there, with a V10 in a B body.
Of course that didn't happen.
I had never been to such a large show ( to me it seemed large) & the
exhibits left me breathless, fired up,envious,excited & exhilirated.

The cars were just excellent. Whether they were TR250's, Jensen
Interceptors, or our own magical MG's, all were prepared to limits way
beyond my $pocket.
All kinds of V6's,V8's, full racing cars & the like. I tell you, I was
transported back to that great era of 60's & 70's, instantly.

I saw cars I had raced  40 years ago. Lotus Cortina,1275 Cooper's, a
marvellous example of a '63 MGA 1600 twin cam. I nearly didn't reach 26
in that one but that is another story.

Enough with the chatter.

Progress to date:

* Timing done @ 11 deg BTDC

* Distrib done @ 32

* Plugs  done @ 25 NGK BP3E6S

* ZS      done with Allen key. No change in rev after withdrawing
dashpot piston. Dashpot level accurate & 20/50 in.

Skye it is still doing the same thing. Bear with me. Do you remember my
request Banshees under the hood? As a reminder, a high pitched scream
emanated from under the hood, which immediately affected the performance
(slower) & the lights would also dim.
I tightened the fan belt to 1/2" movement from the centre of the belt.
That keeps the banshees away. Now however, I hear a very soft, almost
gentle high pitched sound almost the same as the banshees & hardly
audible & instantly the missing & popping begins & it feels as if a
large hand is holding it back. If I floor the pedal it seems to gain
rev's ok, not great but ok.

The other thing I mentioned was H2o temp. Car becomes warm very quickly
& rises beyond the N almost as quickly.
I am aware that MG's are known to have rapid temp rises when stopped in
traffic. Needs passing air. Well yes, mine will rise really fast & keep
climbing, whereas prior to adjusting the distrib' it never,ever even
rose to the N on the gauge.

There is a slight vacuum problem, in that when sucking on the vacuum
hose (on distrib') I can draw air. I seem to remember that should not
happen. How significant is it? I believe while NB, it should not affect
the car to the extent I have been describing.

Gosh I hope that relay of symptoms gives you a hint of what the problem
could be.
While I am becoming very frustrated, I am also very keen & interested to
find out what this is all about.

BTW, after the VanDusen gig, I drove down to the flea market & quite by
chance picked up an entire Equus kit.

* Timing light
* Compression tester
* Dwell
plus another fancy looking instrument that I have no idea as to its
function. All for US$35.00

Finally, did a compression test with my "new" equipment

ALL CYLINDERS THE SAME AT 149LBS!!

So young fella', I would really appreciate your input. Again BTW, in
some trouble shooting tech tips, the symptoms described above signify a
retarded distrib'. Make any sense to you?

Thanks for your ongoing & always accurate advice. Also interesting, I
spoke to almost all the MG owners at the VanDusen show &  only 1 is on
the list & he was showing a nice Jensen.

Best regards
Aubrey 75B