Re: Speedo calibration bust!!! back on list

To: <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo calibration bust!!! back on list
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:40:35 -0700
on 5/21/02 11:57 PM, Larry Hoy at larryhoy@prodigy.net wrote:

>> Your numbers don't look right to me. Why would a 67 and a 73 have the
>> same TPM? -- they have completely different
>> transmissions. I think if you read the web site closely you will see
>> that 67 is the same as 62-66 (1040 or 1020), and 68
>> went to 1280 (but with an 80mm dial). Where the upper chart says Oct.
>> 67 - Dec. 67 it is referring to the 68 *model* year.
>
> Yup, I didn't notice that it was 'model' year.  Kinda weird the way the
> chart is made.  The first line should be combined with the second line.
>
> Me thinks Jim is screwed.  .... Except I found on Skye's site info that
> indicates the pinions are 21 and 27 (in conflict with the Moss catalog)
> not 21 and 20.  If that is correct and he has the 21 tooth pinion then
> an indicated 80mph would change to 59.2mph if he put in the 27 tooth
> pinion ... Hmm.  And that would be too easy.

I saw that, too. But I wondered if they were talking about the same pinions
(they don't seem to be interchangeable between OD and non-OD trannies). It
would be worth investigating, though -- either source could conceivably have
a typo...

I agree about "weird" -- I don't know why that chart made that fine
distinction between various dates in the 68 model year. It may have had
meaning in some context, but not in speedometer specs...

Max

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149