Re: Dead Battery

To: "Zach Dorsch" <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dead Battery
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:56:10 +0100
Hi,

> Finally thought that I would get to drive the car today (surgery earlier
this week).  Went out and noticed the console light didn't come on...great
dead battery.  I tried to jump start it, but not sure if what happened is
normal: 1) fuel pump would not kick on until I turned key to start

That's normal - it's on an ignition live, not a permanent live.

and 2) jumper cables got very warm (this is what concerns me).  Is this
normal for jumper cables to get hot?

Hefty 'professional' jump leads can get warm but not hot as a rule. Lesser
ones can heat up when carrying very heavy current. If they were hot all the
way along, you need better leads. If the ends got hot, the connections were
probably dirty/not tight enough.

  The car has only sat for about a week which is not unusual considering it
sat for most of winter, but this has never happened before.

Could be the battery is on its way west - they don't like sitting,
especially in a low state of charge.

Hope this helps...

David Hill
York, UK