heat exhaustion?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: heat exhaustion?
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 06:10:00 -0400
I've seen various threads on this, but paid little attention, since it's
never happened to me.  But now my car has got the bug.  Symptoms: rhythmic
misfire and loss of power.  Tried wires, plugs, points, condenser, rotor,
cap- all in vain.  The car runs like a champ usually and I think my latest
swap solved it... until it happens again.  I've noticed that it dies in a
predictable pattern though: a quarter mile down the road on hot days after
being parked after a successful run (and hot) for 10 - 15 minutes.
Yesterday, I pulled off the fuel line from the carb and purged hot
percolating fuel out (aha!) until it ran cool and reconnected it.  Yet it
still barely ran, sounding like 3 cylinders.  The rhythmic misfire seems
like ignition, yet the temperature/distance thing seems like fuel.  Carbs
are HIFs from a recent conversion, dizzy is 25D also newly installed.  Any
insights?  Thanks for all the help so far.