Blowby Problem

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blowby Problem
From: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:02:17 -0400
After 2 motor and head rebuilds, my 80 MGB LE continues to suffer
extensive blowby. The front side cover with the vent tube that has a
hose which connects to the right side of the carb blows so much oil that
if you remove the hose with the car running it gushes like an oil well.
The side cover is in perfect shape as I made certain of this when I
rebuilt my motor. How does so much oil get behind that side cover and
why doesn't it drain down into the sump like it should? The motor has
new bearings, rings, pistons, cam bearings, etc. The head is perfect,
new valves, guides, seats, rocker shaft, etc. Has anyone else had this
problem? I cannot drive because of the huge amounts of smoke out the
exhaust under a load or after idling for a few minutes. Anyone have a
suggestion? I have spent the last 12 hours in my shop working on this
problem and am no further ahead than I was 12 hours ago!
Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski