Re: Diagnosis

To: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diagnosis
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:11:49 +0100
That's got to be the rocker cover gasket.  Contrary to popular opinion the
nuts do not tighten down until the cover is clamped hard on the gasket (and
hence the gasket on the head) but only until the shoulder on the nut
contacts the sholder on the bolt and this prevents overtightening and
possible distortion of the cover.  There is a rubber 'compression washer'
under each cup-washer on top of the cover and it is these that apply the
tension to the gasket to give a seal.  These harden over time, and if not
replaced at the same time as the gasket you are quite likely to get leaks.
However, even with new washers and a new gasket I still had a small leak at
the rear and I am sure this must be because the new gasket was not quite
thick enough.  A couple of thicknesses of gasket material in addition to the
compression washers fixed that.