Re: Radiator fill up

To: Robert Guinness <rjglaw@swbell.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiator fill up
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:29:54 -0300
At 05:33 PM 6/10/02 -0500, Robert Guinness wrote:
>Paul Root Asked Question 2: How to I get a radiator that doesn't have a
>cap completely full? I filled the overflow last night, should/will the
>radiator suck
>that in until it's full?
>
>A fast and easy way to fill a MGB cooling system that does not have a
>radiator cap is to unhook the top hose and turn it upwards.  Just pour
>the coolant into the hose until it is full!  Squeeze the bottom hose a
>few times to remove air.  Then reconnect.

   Don't ignore the bottom hose squeeze.  I have personally seen cases where
professional LBC
mechanics (who really should have known better) have supposedly refilled the
cooling system of
a late B only to have their customer's car overheat later due to trapped
air.  Take
it slow and be methodical. When you are filling the system I would be sure
that the heater valve is open.

   Once you have reconnected the top radiator hose,  I would also check the
coolant level in the engine block by eyeballing the level in the neck of the
water
outlet elbow.  This is a good time to squeeze the bottom hose a few more
times to
further "burp" out any remaining trapped air as I believe that this is the
highest point
in the cooling system. You might also want to be sure that you have a gasket
handy
for the water elbow filler plug.  Hope that this helps.

Safety Fast !

   Gene Balinski

      80 B