Re: Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:44:17 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/02 2:06:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> After that the nose of the car would just swish around the
> corners in the same places on the same pavement with no noticeable bump or
> shudder, and everything was much more controlable.  The only difference is
> that the aluminum wheels are very stiff, and the original steel wheels flex
>
> like a warped phonograph record.  (We all remember those don't we?)

Barney, Barney - some of us still buy new issues on vinyl - get with the
program!

And you are absolutely correct about the wheels. Steel wheels flex all over
the place, as do wire wheels.

The place I most noticed it was on a local track where you came into a
braking area, downhill, at around 110 mph with a stock engine (120-130 with
improved). I was getting a lot of roughness and tugging of the steering wheel
with the steel wheels, and when I switched to magnesium, I could go straight
in almost with hands off the wheel - a world of difference! I have since
switched back to Twincam wheels, but they seem to be better than pushrod
steel or wires by a considerable margin, if not as stiff as alloys.

The wires never appealed to me anyway, carrying the extra weight for no good
reason except appearance - are we racing, or are we a bunch of boulevard
polishers, after all?

Bill
(whose current phono cartridge cost more than his first MGA)