Re: Dry Sump / Wear on start up

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump / Wear on start up
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:15:01 -0500
I read some where that the excessive wear that occurs when you start an
engine is not due to a lack of lubrication. The article claimed the real
problem is that a stone cold engine makes water instead of water vapor.
(Burning a hydrocarbons always produces some H2O.) Some owner's manuals
(including my MG's) seem to support this opinion.

Here's a quote from my MGB owner's manual:

"Warming up:  Research has proved that the practice of warming up an engine
by allowing it to idle slowly is definitely harmful. The correct procedure
is to let the engine run fairly fast, approximately 1,000 r.p.m., so that it
attains its correct working temperature as quickly as possible. Allowing the
engine to work slowly in a cold state leads to excessive cylinder wear, and
far less damage is done by driving the car straight on to the road from cold
than by letting the engine idle slowly in the garage."

Has anyone else hear this cold engine / water theory?

I know a few people who religiously wait for their engines to warm up
idling, especially in the winter. Sounds like they may be doing just the
opposite of what's good for the engine.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470