Re: Thanks: If it ain't fixed, don't brake it...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thanks: If it ain't fixed, don't brake it...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:54:06 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/02 9:53:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 77mgb@excite.com
writes:

> Thanks to everyone who helped with the caliper problem (and for not pointing
> out that I'm an idiot for not thinking of it myself).  I used the fitting
> from the old hose attached to a bicycle pump, and got the pistons out
> easily.  The Master Cylnder is giving me more trouble, but I can get an air
> compressor to give me a bit more power.  Should have the brakes rebuilt in
> no time.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Keep in mind the Lockheed Law of Brake Reapir.  If you rebuild just the
calipers, the master cylinder will blow a seal.  If you rebuild just the
master cylinder, you will blow a caliper seal.  It is best to rebuild the
calipers and master cylinder at the same time!  (Ask me how I know!)

Brakes fall into that "while I'm doing this, I might as well replace"
category.  Since you are rebuilding some of the brakes, now is the time to
replace flex lines with new braided lines; check the rear brakes as well,
because they are cheep to fix; and flush the old brake fluid and replace with
new.  Your brakes will not need servicing for years after all that work.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"