blowing fuses

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: blowing fuses
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:33:39 -0500
I keep blowing the bottom fuse on the 67 B, w/ positive ground, thus my gauges
(speedo and fuel) and blinkers will not work The fuse blows as soon as I turn
on the ignition switch. How do I go about testing for a short circuit if I
can't keep the fuse from burning out. Paul said to wire in a headlight where
the fuse was and that the bulb would burn brighter when the faulty circuit was
turned on, but the light burns brightly at all times. I found the ground wire
was off the back of the fuel gauge, but after refitting I still had the same
problem. I've sanded all the ball of connectors on the right side under the
hood and sanded all the connections in the blinker housings.
Could the voltage stabilizer be causing too much currrent to be passing
through? How do I check for, and isolate, a direct short using my multimeter
(just 'cause I own it doesn't mean I know how to use it, and yes I've read the
directions:-).
I've studied the "stuff" at http://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/faults.html
and at http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ but still haven't been able to figure it
out. Any other site that might be helpful?

Monte 79B, 67B, and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA