coil wiring

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: coil wiring
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:13:19 -0500
In the further adventures of deciphering the DPO, our intrepid
explorer tries to uncover the mysteries of the coil.

Ok, sorry...

Last night I was trying to put in a new coil (pertronix). This
is a '77B, and mostly matches the '78 and later wiring diagram
in Bentley.

Anyway, I have a gray Lucas coil and a pertronix ignitor installed.
At the end of the wiring harness right behind the alternator is
the three wires that went into the OPUS, just cut off.

On the coil, the + post has 3 wires:
                Red                     - Pertronix
                White Light Green       - going into the loom.
                                Sorry I didn't trace this one yet.
                Black                   - a little blue capacitor, hmm.

And the - post has 3 wires:
                Black                   - Pertronix
                White Black             - Tach
                White Black             - one of the cut ones at the end of the
loom :-(

Ok, and also, next to the coil is the ballast resistor for the OPUS.
One end has a White Brown, with goes to the fuse box as expected. On
the other end is White Light Blue, which also goes to end of the
loom cut off. I didn't trace the third wire, that should go to the
fusebox. Yes, I'll check.

So, this seems a little weird to me. Is this a Lucas Sport Coil
by chance? I know, I should have looked for a part number or something.

Obviously, the ballast resistor doesn't need to go back in.
I'm not sure what that capacitor is doing there, it's not in any wiring
diagram I've been able to find. What's it's purpose.

I needed female spade connectors or I would have put the Pertronix coil
in last night. Glad I didn't, since on reflection, this seems weird.
Because:

1) There aren't enough wires going into + for stock configuration. I was
thinking that the WLG was probably coming from the solenoid, but now
that doesn't make sense, since that should just be hot when starting, right?
And then where is the ballasted line? Which also should be WLG. Maybe
that's it.   I know. I'll trace that line tonight (or whenever I can get
back in the garage).

2) Do I need the capacitor?

So here's how I plan to install the Pertronix. With 2 assumptions:
        1) The WLG is a ballasted line
        2) I don't need the capacitor

        On the + post:
                        Red             - Pertronix
                        White           - was on resistor

        On the - post:
                        Black           - Pertronix
                        White Black     - Tach

Then if I get industrious (and get some blue wire loom tape). I'll
unwrap the loom and pull out those cut off wires. :-)

Does any of this seem reasonable, or am I ranting again?

Paul
'77B

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155