Re: Cars and Heat

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Subject: Re: Cars and Heat
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:50:19 -0500
Mike:

    This is just a wild guess, but make sure your gas tank is vented
properly. I'm thinking that sitting in the sun is going to make the gas (and
air) expand. If some air can't escape from the tank, gas is going to be
forced past the carb needle valve and dumped into the intake manifold. If
your TD is like mine, the only vent is the clearance around the rivet in the
gas cap assembly. This was rusted shut at one time on my cap, and it was
causing all kinds of problems with both pressure and vacuum in the tank. I
periodically wiggle this around to keep the "hole" open. (I've never been
able to find a dedicated "vent hole" in the gas tank. Is there supposed to
be one?)

Anyway, my TD has almost the opposite problem. When I park for a short time
(around 15 minutes) on a hot day, I have a hard time starting the engine.
And then it runs horribly for a couple blocks. If I park for a long time,
she runs fine. I posted about this on the mg-t sister list.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336