RE: MGB wheel conversion question

To: "'BarrMark262@aol.com '" <BarrMark262@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: MGB wheel conversion question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:01:04 -0700
 Dennis:

Any used hubs you have should be checked very carefully.  If the splines are
sharp the hub should be replaced.  The top of the spline should be dull, and
slightly flat.  The wheel drives on the sides of the spline, so if the top
of the spline is sharp, the sides are worn out.

The correct way to convert is to use the entire rear axle assembly from the
donor car.  You will also need the hand brake cable.

Check the diff for back lash before going too far.  Luckily wire wheel cars
tend to have less diff wear.  I'm guessing the flex in the wheels reduces
the impact on the gears.

Alternatively there are 68-80 steel wheel to wire wheel rear conversion hubs
available.  They are usually packaged as part of the wire wheel conversion
kit.  You will need the two hubs and the special mounting bolts.  This
allows you to use the original steel wheel axle assembly, with the correct
wire wheel offset.

This makes the conversion easier and you will probably need new rear hubs
anyway.  The right rear hub takes the most beating, so check it carefully.

hope this helps

Kelvin.