RE: Rear Brake questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Brake questions
From: "Maynard Hirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:56:46 -0500
You missed my point.  The rear brakes, when properly adjusted, have some drag.
By setting them snug, I accomplish two things.

1.  The pedal is high.
2.  If you looked at worn, or partially worn, brake shoes, you will see that
the wear is not even.  It is heaviest near the  wheel cylinder,  By adjusting
them snuggly, it causes the shoes to wear into the drum faster, and thereby
gives you better braking.

Unlike other cars, MG rear brakes are not self actuating.  (you will see in
some cars that the lead shoe is has a shorter lining than the trailing shoe,
and often is a different material).  For this reason, it is important that the
shoes be as close to the drum as possible.

Maynard