Pistons out!

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pistons out!
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:00:33 +0100
I managed to get the sump pan off on saturday morning. I resorted to
hammering the pan lip flat next to the bolt heads and then getting in under
the crank pulley with a spanner. Oil pump off (shaft fell out too) and then
big ends undone and pistons pushed out.

3 out of the 4 pistons had broken rings! This would explain the smoke. The
big end bearings were also very worn. Luckily the crank journals are not
badly worn.

I carefully kept the end caps the correct way round and inspected the
pistons for wear. Haynes says the bore is 80.3mm. The pistons were ~79mm at
the tops and 79.5mm at the bottom of the skirt. ie: They are ~1mm (40thou)
smaller than the bore. There is slight wear in the bore and slight scoring,
so I bought myself a honing tool for the electric drill. I'm not taking the
block out, that is too much work. I'll also not renew the main bearings and
thrusts as they seem pretty much ok, and the crank can't be removed with the
engine in situ.

I don't think I'll go for +20 pistons, as the ridge at the top of the bore
is not great. I'll get new standard pistons and rings. Anyone know the exact
size? (it would no doubt be slightly less than the bore...80mm??)

I'll get the pistons and rings at my local engine shop, Roe Engineering, and
order up the other parts from Brown and Gammons http://www.ukmgparts.com

Tappet cover, 2x seals, oil pump, big end bearings, head gasket set, sump
gasket = ~80ukp   (pistons should be about 20ukp each)

Hopefully get the engine running again within two weeks. Then it's MOT time.
:-(

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com