Blinker Problems - Need Expert Guidance

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blinker Problems - Need Expert Guidance
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:05:06 -0500
Dear Listers and Readers,

I have an unusual problem... I am hoping that someone with some experience
with the electricals might be able to provide some useful advice.

I have a '79 B. Well, the warning flashers did not work. I was quickly able
to discover that the stand-alone fuse (in the engine compartment) had a very
corroded wire. I cut the wire out and replaced it with a good one. Hazards
work perfectly. Know that all the flashing bulbs light up nice and bright
(as designed).

Now, onward to the problem. I have noticed over the past few months that
sometimes the blinkers (left or right) would not come on. This problem has
gradually gotten worse. To the point now where the blinkers rarely work at
all. I can rev the engine, and the blinkers will work (sometimes) but at the
same time, I notice that the tachometer fluctuates when the blinkers do
work... Strange. I have had a look at the schematic (confusion here) and see
that the blinker system has some common points with the tachometer as well.

I have swapped the flashing unit (under the glove box) and the problem does
not follow the flashing unit. So, I doubt that the problem is with the
flasher unit. I have a very strong sense that the problem is somewhere at a
common point (before the circuit separates for left and right blinkers). I
will check the alternator this weekend, but I suspect that this is not the
problem. Head lights and all other electricals work just fine.

Please, if you have experience with the blinker system on a late model MGB,
I could use some expert guidance.

Here are a few questions that I have (please feel free to throw in whatever
you see fit):

1) Which fuse (in the 4 fuse box) is the fuse for the Blinkers?
2) Perhaps there is another corroded wire that I missed... Is it safe for me
to replace the wire that goes from the fuse box to (I assume) the flasher
unit?
3) Finally, the flasher unit for the hazards always has 12 volts on it. When
I turn the key, should I expect that the flasher unit for the blinkers would
also have a constant 12 volts on it?  If so, this would make my life really
easy, as I could simply supply 12 volts to the flasher unit. (Please let me
know if this is a bad idea).

Again, thank you for any advice. Who should I make the check payable to
(after all, you ALL deserve it!)?

Regards,

Dennis Berman
'77 B