Re: Value of long block MGB

To: BarrMark262@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Value of long block MGB
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 22:57:05 -0600
I thought the short block was without head and the long block included it
and other bolt ons.

If it is as you say, "rebuilt to proper specs", then I would say you are
not too bad off getting the block even a short block at that price. I'm in
the middle of an engine overhaul which is going to end up costing me about
$700-800 in parts and machine shop costs but that also included the cost of
a valve job on the head.

You do have an element of risk with the Ebay engine as it may not be as
good as advertised or have some unknown problems. Its also hard to say
really what sort of shape your old block is in and that would  effect your
ultimate cost. My engine was in pretty good shape although I had to replace
the cam and I went with new oversize pistons.

Its likely going to cost you a fair bit more to do your engine yourself but
it would be a great experience and if you follow the instructions
correctly, you would have a solid engine and the pride in driving a car
with your own engine rebuild in it. I would still say that you are better
off doing your engine unless its really trashed and needing a lot of
replacement parts (like the crankshaft for one). Then you would end up
looking for another block anyway.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B