Re: [MG-MGB] Evolving OD problem (early OD)

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] Evolving OD problem (early OD)
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:19:35 +0100
The first thing to do is confirm whether it is electrical or
mechanical/hydraulic.  Connect an ammeter in series with the solenoid as this
is the only way you will confirm that current is flowing through the circuit.
You can check voltages but that only indicates voltage is reaching that point,
not that it is flowing through the solenoid itself.

You say you have a 67.  In late 67 the MkII was introduced with the
all-synchro box and the LH OD.  This type does not have a relay, only the
earlier MkIs with 3-synchro and D-type OD had that.

If you have the D-type the ammeter needs to go in the yellow/red that goes to
the gearbox lockout switch, at the relay is convenient.  You only need to turn
on the ignition and operate the manual switch to check the current flow, you
don't need to be driving.  However if it is intermittent you may like to set
the ammeter up in the car where you can see it while driving.  Unfortunately
this means that the vacuum switch can bypass the ammeter so you will need to
disconnect (and insulate) the yellow/red at the vacuum switch.  As long as you
don't disengage the OD at high rpms with your foot off the accelerator you
will be fine.

The LH-type is much easier, just wire it in series with the manual switch.

If you see current flow (about one amp on the LH-type) when OD is selected but
has not engaged you know the problem is mechanical/hydraulic.  If no current
flow the problem is electrical, now use voltage tests to see how far it is
getting.  The most dismantling you should have to do is remove the solenoid.

Fo the benefit of anyone else who thinks they may have been wrecking their OD
dipping the clutch or backing off/increasing the accelerator is *not* required
when engaging/disengaging OD, but there is little harm in doing it if you
choose to.