Re: Evolving OD problem (early OD)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Evolving OD problem (early OD)
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:46:48 EDT
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> On a club trip I hit the switch and heard an noise that I first thought was
> an electric noise 'snapping, popping' coming from the tunnel next to me. I
> figured it was the solenoid shorting and turned it right off (did I mention
> that I am a procrastinator?). In the meantime I got the new wiring harness
> and when I cleaned the contacts to the OD electrical component on the fire
> wall (relay?) it worked great for few days but I think it was just
> coincidence. The more I listen to this noise in the transmission tunnel the
> more I think it is a mechanical noise of gears not meshing all the way. It
> is not the loud gears clashing noise but a softer muted noise like a
> clacking or so.

Get under there and check out the solenoid.
I'll wager that the 2 bolts that hold it in place have backed off and it is
'floating' about a little, which means that it will only engage some of the
time, and the rest of the time the solenoid piston will try and fail, try and
fail - which results in the clacking you get.

I drill and lockwire these bolts on my race cars for exactly this reason.
If that's all it is, tighten the bolts and away you go (you might want to
replace the lockwashers while you are in there.

Let us know if that was the problem.

Bill