Re: distributor

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: distributor
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:31:00 -0400
  The base of the distributor where it fits into the clamp is a narrow
area and of soft metal.  Loosening the clamp bolt and turning the
distributor can, over time and many adjustments, wear this area away and
cause it to taper. Eventually, the clamp will not clamp firmly and the
taper allows the distributor to shake its way up and out of the clamp.
25+ years of tuning and timing have taken their toll, it seems.
   Though the instructions do not put any emphasis on the correct setting
of the distributor for timing the engine,  they do note that the
distributor is to be clamped into the plate, and the plate is to be moved
on the engine block to set timing, by easing the two machine screws,
timing and tightening the two machine screws again.
  What to do?  I suggest removing the distributor and the clamp assembly,
inspecting and seeing if there is any hope of getting the distributor to
fit properly. Perhaps building up metal on the distributor would work.
Maybe one of the miracle epoxies would do.  If those efforts don't
succeed, then a new distributor may be in your near future.
   This is a bummer--it's not at all obvious that the easy way (one clamp
bolt like everyone else uses) is not the MG way.
Bob