Change to 15" wires (60 spoke)

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>, MG-MGB <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Change to 15" wires (60 spoke)
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
My brother is buying new wires and tires for his 67 BGT. He is going to jump up
to 15" to give the non-OD car some longer legs, and he always liked the larger
CGT look also. He needs to replace the rubber and two of the wires anyways so
he figures it is about the same price no matter which size he chooses. So, now
I am in the near same situation. I have four tires that did not survive some
bad front end problems. I will need to replace them for the next season. I also
have two wires that will/should be replaced also. I strongly wish to stay with
the 165 width for mostly aesthetic reasons. To get 14" 165 rubber is very hard
and expensive. If I go to 15 rims where 165 rubber is readily avail can anyone
think of some downsides to making the change? Does the increase in unsprung
weight make any difference? My rear end sits lower than most other B's, am I
going to have a clearance problem there? Will it give the any advantages?
longer legs?. My speedo is already hopelessly off calibration so that is not an
issue, it might even make it closer to accurate. I can get some very good 60
spoke 15 rims locally. I look for the great combined knowledge of the list.

Carl