Does this sound familiar?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Does this sound familiar?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:54:30 -0700
To self: I'm going to build an engine that is not only strong and
reliable, but doesn't leak.

The car is on the road and the filter adapter seal starts leaking.

"Oops, better tighten it down"

<crack!>
"^%$^% ()**() ##&^^& !!!!"

Replace filter adapter, replace seal. Tighten down a little more
securely. Seal works for about a day and starts leaking. Fiddle with
seal, replace, and seal works for about 5 miles, and resumes leaking.

Tow car home. Install new seal.  Seal works fine for several days,
then starts leaking a bit.  Take seal out, reinstall it, use about 1/3
of a tube of RTV. Two days later, fire up car, it hemorrages oil.

Call up Parts Pusher, "Dave, do you have any more of those oil filter
adapter seals? I've had the worst luck. One of them even seems to have
delaminated on me".

Dave: "It sounds like you over tightend them. If you tighten that down
too much, it'll actually squeeze the seal out of the groove"

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.