Re: fuel pump

To: Dart Budz <budz@students.uiuc.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:02:28 -0600
I'm really preferential to the SU fuel pump for two reasons.

1. I have only had one SU fuel pump fail and that was on my 71BGT. I bought
the car in 1983, the pump failed in 1999, and I put at least 150k miles on
the car and pump in those 16 years. And the pump was already used when I
bought the car, possibly even the original pump. It would be hard to find
an aftermarket pump that can match that.

2. My son's 65B has an aftermarket Purolator pump - the pump is noisy and
constantly pumps. Not even comparable to a quiet SU pump that shuts off
when the float bowls are full. And now that I think about it, I also had an
aftermarket fuel pump in my first 65B. It was noisy but did shut off when
the float bowls were full, but I had to buy an additional pressure
regulator for it. Low pressure is critical.

In short, I think the SU fuel pump is your best bet for reliability as well
as performance, even if it does cost quite a bit more (at least in the
short run).

David Councill
72 MGB
67 MGBGT