Tach Problems (Finale, I hope) Long

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tach Problems (Finale, I hope) Long
From: "Phillip Erikson" <perikson2@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:40:52 -0700
Well it looks like my tach problems have been solved and I want to thank all
of you who were so generous with your suggestions.

After I got home this morning, I shared my setback with the list and one of
you suggested that I handle the wiring SNAFU myself since the shop didn't seem
to know what they were doing. I was reluctant to crawl under the dash myself
as I am older (64), larger (6'3", 230 lbs.)and blessed with a chronic bad
back. But I did anyway. Removing the driver's seat helped a lot.

First I substituted another tach I have but there was no improvement. Then I
started checking for power. As I understand it, the wire to the post on the
back  of the tach should have a 12 v source. Guess what -- mine didn't. But I
thought I could borrow the power source for the fuel gauge. When I hooked that
to the tach, I got an active needle. But it wasn't very steady.  So I replaced
the tach with the original one, tightened the loop a bit and fastened down
everything nice and tight. The result? A nice, steady, accurate tachometer
reading -- just like it was before I removed the dash.

Tomorrow I'll try to split the 12 v source so I can power both the tach and
fuel gauge together. The, I'll put back the seat and drive the B to test the
tach more thoroughly.

Again let me thank you for your help. I also want to thank Bob at Foreign
Speedo in San Diego for his patience and expertise. [BTW, his number is (619)
298-5278.]

Phil "All Reved Up" Erikson
1966 B Roadster
West Covina, CA