Re: Dual Circuit brake system for drum brake A

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: Dual Circuit brake system for drum brake A
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:18:12 -0400
Blake,
  Your thoughts about maintenance are good, yet even one who considers
himself reasonably careful can get caught up with hidden problems.
Example--two weeks ago a rear brake line on my truck rusted out. I do the
oil, filter and grease jobs myself, because I want to know that all the
work is done and also to take a look around underneath the truck.  Not a
month before, I had observed how bright and shiny all the metal brake
lines appeared. The line failed in an area where it was in contact with
the chassis rail, somewhat concealed from view by the fuel tank, but the
section of the line was in apparent good order in all the areas that it
was visible.  It was the area invisible and unreachable that rusted
silently away, despite the waxoyl sprayed on the chassis.
  Yes, any failure of that sort is caused by negligence, but few would
anticipate a blowout on a line when all but about six inches appeared as
good as new. I was rather glad that the truck did have a dual chamber
master cylinder.
Bob