Re: Fuel Gauge

To: "Bill & Penny" <wcameyer@msn.com>, "The MG List"
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:20:28 +0100
No, after 1964 the stabiliser arrived and remained to the end of production.
The 'stabiliser' actually switches 12v on and off once or twice a second,
averaging about 10v.  If your stabiliser is switching much slower than this
(check with a voltmeter) that could be the cause of the erratic gauge.
However the stabiliser also supplied the temp gauge (and the oil for 67
only) so if these are OK it must be the fuel gauge connects or sender.
Likewise if it is stable while stationary and only erratic when moving that
points to a bad connection or bad sender.  The sender also needs a good
ground connection (shared with the pump and some rear lights in the
boot/trunk).  Don't imagine a replacement sender will last anywhere as long
as the original, after replacing both mine some 8 and 4 years ago I had to
replace them again last year.