MGA Fuel Pumps

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Fuel Pumps
From: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:15:43 -0400
While enroute to the local air show MGA fuel pump decided it was time to
retire from active duty.  Spare fuel pump also thought now would be a good
time to give up active service as well.  Was able to get some life out of
the old pump by using a BFH.  This tactic only increased the drive distance
back home for parts and tools.  In fact, the pump carried me to the air show
where I got to work on it while the air show went on over my head.
Anyway, one of the pilots who had driven his MGB brought over a generic
pump.  This pump was small and square and when installed worked just fine.
My question is should I replace it with an original, the likes of which let
me down two fold or just go by Advance Auto and get one like the small
square one?  Should it be mounted where the old one was?  Is it ok to just
slip rubber fuel lines over the copper ones and use a small hose clamp?
THANKS!
Mike R