Re: Desmogging a 79

To: MGBracer80@aol.com, mmorris@nemr.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Desmogging a 79
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:54:08 -0600
Less than a month ago on this list, Barney said:

>7/16-20 UNF or SAE thread.  Socket head set screws of the appropriate
>length to fit flush give it a good appearance.

I saved his message because I am rebuilding the engine on my 72B. The head
to it plus another one I have both appear to have the same fix to filling
these holes - the one that was suggested here, cutting off the ends of the
air rail and brasing(?) them. One set doesn't look good at all. The other
set is not quite as ugly because they were cut off and sealed close enough
to make the plugs look almost like they were bolts.

But still, I would prefer Barney's solution. Unfortunately, I haven't found
a fastener meeting Barney's specs here in town in anything smaller than
about 1.5" in length. But I'll keep looking.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B