Re: Zerks, Zerts, Serts, or Certs with retsyn

To: ksmith40@earthlink.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Zerks, Zerts, Serts, or Certs with retsyn
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:24:36 EDT
In a message dated 08/30/2002 5:08:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ksmith40@earthlink.net writes:

> But what is the proper spelling for a grease (zerk, zert, sert, etc.)?  Not
> knowing any better, I've always called them "serts", as if someone along
> the way shortened "inserts" to one syllable, but I've been seeing many
> different versions on this list.
>
> Which is it?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Zerk is the company that made the grease fittings popular.  What we all call
a Zerk is actually not...it is a grease fitting.  AFAIK, Zerks did not have
the ball shaped end but were cylindrical with a spring loaded ball inside to
keep the grease in.

BTW, you can call them anything you like!  :-)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget (The Project)