Lime Rock Update

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Lime Rock Update
From: "NSippel" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:42:04 -0400
I brought the MGB up Friday & got to do a practice session  in the rain.
There were 2 Ferraris in the group that ventured out including a GTO that I
passed on the main straight.  Can you imagine?  While the turns were
treacherous, the straights were pretty good.  Although, a few times because
we were going so slowly, I tried 2nd gear & that was like driving on ice -
nothing but wheelspin.  So, I stuck to 3rd.

Things dried up nicely for the afternoon & yesterday.  So, everyone was up
to speed.

The number of entries is way down this year.  I heard it was 180, down from
350 last year.  Certainly a lot of empty spaces in the paddock area.  But,
the spectator count yesterday was amazing.  I have been going to this Labor
Day weekend event for 22 years & don't ever remember them using the field to
the south of Racer Registration for spectator parking before.  It was filled
yesterday.  SO, if you are planning to go there tomorrow, get there early.
Gates open at 7 AM.

There are MG's or Spridgets racing in 3 of 7 groups.  They include TC's &
TD's in Group 2, Bill Stevens' Beyers MG (A) in Group 4, and MGA's & B's &
Bugeye's in Group 5.

I'm in Group 5 & it is a real strange mix of cars.  Most of them are under
2,000 cc production sports cars, many of which I normally race with.  But
since Steve Earle grouped cars by year, it also includes 2 Aston Martin
DB4's & 3 Ferraris including 2 GTO's.  Talk about intimidating!  Ask me how
it feels to duck inside a GTO on a turn.  Better be in 100% control or sell
the house & then some.

The Turner reunion is also being held this weekend.  Yesterday there were 4
Turners racing & 4 more in the paddock.  Today & tomorrow, we expect a total
of 12.  Look for us at the end of TransAm Road in Paddock B (Sunoco Paddock)
right at the bottom of the Downhill.

So, if you can, come on out to watch us play in the rain & dry tomorrow.

Cheers!

Norm Sippel
MGB #477
Turner #478