RE: Is this a nice trade?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Is this a nice trade?
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:48:18 -0500
> So guys, will this be a good deal? The Jag is an original
> early '68 with
> original license plates of this time.
> Besides the poor looking wheels, where should I look for any
> bad spots (rust
> or anything else).

Well, in the U.S., a basket case E-Type will usually sell for as much or
more than a perfect MGB-GT.  If the E-Type is an OTS, all the better.  If a
coupe, OK.  If a 2+2, it isn't quite as valuable.

Trouble spots to look for rust include the boot floor, floorpans, and sills.
Pretty typical.  Nothing too terrible to have to replace.  If there is rust
around the radius arm mounts for the rear suspension, it can be fixed, but
must be done with new metal welded in to make the car safe.

Other areas to look at:

If the front subframe shows obvious signs of rust, bends, or repair
attempts, it will need to be replaced.

Carefully check the bonnet structure in the nose for damage and rust.

Take a look at this site, where they give you some more information on
things to look for:

http://www.xke-lovers.com/

And there's more on the Jag-Lovers site:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/e-type/shopping.html