Re: Blown fuse

To: "JAMES SCHULTE" <schultejim@prodigy.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blown fuse
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:11:27 +0100
Definitely not a blown diode, or anything to do with the alternator, it
would have to develop a huge voltage before it would blow a fuse.  The
problem is an intermittent short on the green (fused ignition) circuit.
This includes turn signals, reverse lights, wipers, washers and heater fan
as well as the things you mention.  Intermittents are always difficult to
find, so turn them all on together and see if that blows the fuse.  I say
this rather then switching them on one at a time as a partial short (as
opposed to a full short) on the faulty item may not be enough to blow the
fuse, but when something else is added like the brake lights that may be
enough, and lead you wrongly to think the brake lights are the problem.  If
switching them all on *does* blow the fuse then replace the fuse with the
highest wattage 12v bulb you have e.g. a headlamp bulb.  When the short is
present that will glow at full brilliance and only glow dimly or not at all,
depending on the load, when it isn't.  When glowing brightly remove each
green connector in turn from the fusebox to see which causes the bright
glow, that should narrow it down a little, then it is a matter of
disconnecting things on that particular branch.