Re: Pertronix install.....zap

To: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pertronix install.....zap
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:21:20 -0500
At 11:32 PM 9/10/02 -0700, Tim Economu wrote:
>.... installing the Ignitor in my 25D distributor, and .... After
>determining there was no voltage getting to the coil, .... I found I had
>reversed the coil wires. After correcting the reversed wires, I cannot get
>the Ignitor to switch, ....
>
>So my obvious question is, did I fry the unit, or ....

Yeah, it's fried.  They don't seem to hold up well to reverse polarity.  I
was recently called to the aid of an ailing MGA that had a new battery
momentarily installed backwards.  After correcting the battery polarity the
Pertronics unit was a dead short to ground and proceeded to smoke the
ignition supply wires when the key was switched on.

Some of our best lessons in life are learned the hard way.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntcource.com/~barneymg