Re: Overdrive fluid options? Syntech? early O/D

To: "Carl French" <leylandauto@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive fluid options? Syntech? early O/D
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:50:54 -0400
This has come up a couple of times
recently...and the consensus is the
synthetics do not have the shear strength
for syncrhos and such to work properly.
(not enough friction for the synchros to grab
and properly align during shifting.)

If the O/D is dropping out on you it could simply
be the o-ring seals on the valves accessible
without ripping down the whole tranny-O/D
combo.

You should be able to remove the little
plate covering the filter screen from underneath
the car and clean it out...again from underneath
with out much disassembly required.

I just paged through three different original
MG users handbooks and all three say
s.a.e. 10w/50  10w/40    20w/50   or 20w/40
for above  -100C    Castrol GTX

The only similarity and O/D box has to an auto
is the idea of a high pressure pump to drive the
O/D where a normal 4 banger would not have this
high pressure need.  That and the idea that
 the O/D outer 'cone' is driven via friction contact
not by direct gear mesh. Other than that...the auto
tranny comparison is VERY misleading.

Paul Tegler
wizardz@toad.net
www.teglerizer.com