Re: Somewhat OT: MGB alternative

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Somewhat OT: MGB alternative
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:40:35 -0700
I agree that the Jensen-Healey is an underappreciated BSC. However, I don't
think it really qualifies as a MGB alternative, for the following reason:

They didn't make 500,000 of them (not even close: 10,400 plus a few of the
"wagon" version); hence original parts are scarce, and replacement parts are
not widely reproduced or available cheaply.

Now, if you want an uncommon car, with decent performance, more in the
modern idiom (though not exactly up-to-date), and don't mind ferreting out
scarce items, it might make an interesting project.

But there is a reason that they can be had relatively cheaply  -- low
demand, coupled with high restoration costs (relative to a B). I'm not
trying to discourage you -- saving one of these beasts would be a worthwhile
endeavor from a historical standpoint, if nothing else-- but it probably
wouldn't be a money-making proposition (any more than a B project), so you'd
have to trust that the driving experience was worth it. I've never even had
a ride in one myself, so I can't help you there.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149