MGB pinging...

Subject: MGB pinging...
From: "Craig Wiper" <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:13:47 -0700
Hi. I've been off of the list for a couple of years now. I'm finally back
on.

I installed a rebuilt (Glenn Towery) engine in my B about a year and a half
ago. I have been having a pinging problem ever since.

I have a California early '74 B which is supposed to have the timing
adjusted to 11deg BTDC with vacuum off at 1500 rpm. I've actually got it at
8 degrees to lessen the pinging which I've been experiencing. Any closer to
TDC and it's very hard to start and doesn't run as good.

I bought brand new HIF4 carbs last year for a 'smog' check (couldn't adjust
the old ones to idle low enough). I put a 160 deg thermostat in it to keep
the temp down to help the pinging.

In the mornings now, it seems OK with the temp reading below the N. In the
warm afternoons however, with the temp right at N, I still get lots of
pinging; especially between 2500 and 3000 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

I adjusted the timing to both extremes and have never been able to get rid
of the pinging. I swapped the HIF4's for a Weber downdraft and I couldn't
even drive it out of the driveway because it was pinging badly. So I put the
HIF4's back on. I haven't done a compression check. Glenn told me it was a
high compression engine though.

I never had this problem with the old engine. It blew some rings and it was
cheaper for me to buy a rebuilt rather than have mine fixed locally.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you,
and best regards,

Craig Wiper
Santa Rosa, CA
craigw@sonic.net