RE: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc - etc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc - etc.
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:33:12 US/Mountain
I just can't avoid chiming in here because I have:

A 1958 MGA with a three main 1800 motor and early MGB rear axle ratio,
A 1967 MGB with a five main 1800 motor and overdrive,
A "Pesky" porsche - 1969 911T soft window targa

For those of you that don't know, the "T" on the 911 designation is
related to engine power - this is the lowest power 6 cylinder, at a
whopping 110hp, and who knows what torque (about 120)

My general impression is

The A with a 3 main is quicker than the B with a 5 main.  They are both
great cars, though, and are the cars of choice to drive if the weather
permits (I'm in desert Idaho, it is really cold after dark).  Not the
performance of the porsche, but more fun.

The porsche is a different car.  Even this one that is stock and low power
seems like a performance machine, and very reliable.  Power comes on at
4000 rpm, and just gets better until the kick-out at 6500.  The car is
made to turn under acceleration - which is a load of fun.  The best thing
is the amount of heat the heating system will pump out (I drove in today
with the targa top on and the soft rear window off - it was 340 this
morning - and I was plenty warm).  Second best thing is the fact that I
have a full set of studded Hakkapilita snow tires, and this car will go
anywhere in the snow (as long as it isn't too deep).

I'm sure the 911 would run the socks off the MGA, but I enjoy driving the
A more.  In another two years or so, I'll have to let you know how the 911
with a performance engine in it is, because I'm working on that.

Phil
Bates