Re: manual choke

To: tab@penworks.com
Subject: Re: manual choke
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:53:19 -0400
  Not much of a heater, just the standard one. Careful attention to air
leaks helps immensely at keeping feet and ankles warm.  Above them, a
good hat, a warm jacket,  and a lap robe help.  Avoid breathing toward
the windshield, the defroster does not offer much assistance until
several miles have been travelled. A 195 thermostat and blanking half the
radiator help there.
   And there's another trick too, for those who have a wood kitchen
range---sew five pounds of rock salt into a heavy canvas (awning cloth
works well), put in the oven and let warm to as hot as you can touch it.
Then you put this on the floor under your knees.  The salt holds the
heat, much as soapstone does, and helps a lot on those frosty mornings,
when the heat is trapped under the lap robe draped over your lap and down
to your knees.