Streetable and SOLO 2 performance tires... and rear ride

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Streetable and SOLO 2 performance tires... and rear ride
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:18:16 -0400
Andy:

My B is at 22.0" rear, 22.8" front with street tires of 24" diameter.  My
Dunlop Race tires - 5.50 M 14 are 25" dia & rub on the inside at rear,
outside front on hard uphill turns like turn 4 (?) at NHIS.  The Hoosiers
are only 23" dia & while wider, don't rub anywhere.  You can check tire
cross sections at Tire Rack & Sasco Motorsports.

I lowered the front about 3" via shorter, stiffer springs & lowered
spindles.  And, lowered the rear about 1.5" simply by removing some spring
leaves.  On the B, that results in really good handling - stiff front, soft
rear.  However, as a result, the car sits a little high at the rear. (See:
http://www.homestead.com/mgclub/files/photo34.htm )  Top left center photo
shows Hoosiers, rest are Dunlops.  I have lowering blocks for the rear.
But, haven't yet installed them.  Nor, have I installed the rear anti-sway
bar.

Are you sure your rear-end isn't moving around?  I installed urethane
bushings to try to minimize that.

Good luck!

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB