Re: MGB tire sizes

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB tire sizes
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:41:21 -0700
165R14. Aspect ratio wasn't used at the time. It translates to about a 78
aspect ratio, I believe. This size is still available in some odd brands.
Vredestein is one.

My calculations show 185/70-14 should be pretty close in diameter, on the
high side. 175/70 would be about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter. But these are
"paper" dimensions, not real world rolling diameters.

My take is that (for general road use, not racing) you would want to go
larger diameter rather than smaller, if you have a choice -- ground
clearance is already iffy. And wider, of course, within reason.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149