RE: Marina memories (longish)

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: RE: Marina memories (longish)
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com> wrote:
> > Kelvin,
> >      Thanks for clearing up this issue for me..as
> for
> > the cast crank and "softer cam".. I drove my
> Morris
> > Marina TC over 200,000 miles, most of them at 5500
> rpm
> > or better. I had no problems with the crank or
> cam. On
> > the contrary, my MG roadster,the 1977 in
> particular,
> > has had several flat cam lobes develop. Did it
> have a
> > Marina cam??Did my Marina have an MG cam???hmmm.
> > Howard
>

> Howard:
>
> There is no question that the cast cranks hold up
> well.  Even with the
> typical lack of oil changes in Marina motors, they
> usually have little wear.
> Not so the blocks and cam train.  The blocks tended
> to taper, perhaps due to
> the short skirt press fit pistons.  The cams and
> lifters were only good for
> 40,000 miles.
Kelvin,
      Interesting that you said this..My memory jogged
a turn..My TC(1971), lost it's entire top end just
11000 miles into it's life with me.  The motor
garage(dealer), in Huntingdon,Hunts. , put an MG-B top
end back on it under warrenty..I guess he knew what
was what..hehe..
     The Triumph tranny went south at 20,000 miles. I
was told that the mainshaft had the thrust washers
incorrectly spaced between the gearsets!..I say it was
just a weak link in the drive train.  Marina Madness..
Howard
PS..I changed my oil(Duckyms 20-50) every 3000
miles..don't know what the inside of the block looked like..:-)